swagbucks

Friday, February 13, 2009

Seriously?!?! There is more?

Let me start this by saying I don't like giving my kid medicine. I try to avoid it, now I actually have good reason! They are making life crazy in this house!! (Unless he has a fever that is making him uncomfortable or he is obvious pain, we don't give him anything.) This past week he was started on an antibiotic, due to green snot that after 3 weeks was still present. I agreed with the fact that his cold had probably turned into a sinus infection, which hadnt resolved on its own. This week we took him in for his 18 month check up. I was going to bring up his nasty cough myself, but Z-man coughed for most of the appointment, so I didnt need to. After concluding that this was not pneumonia (thank the heavens) and still sounded wet and barky, our pediatrician decided that we needed to try a short course of steroids and an inhaler to get his airways to open up. Ok, fine. no one in our house has been sleeping due to his coughing, might as well try something. We left the office with a spacer with a mask (for the inhaler), and rx's for an inhaler, steroids, and epi-pens (doc didnt feel safe relying on benadryl alone if Z ate something he shouldnt) Now this is where it gets interesting. Has anyone tried giving an 18 monther who is coughing non-stop, liquid meds. Especially ones that taste wretched? Not so easy. Good thing they gave me some extra, just in case. Did I mention that I am all alone? Trying to keep him still and get meds in his mouth . Add to that, trying to keep a mask over his mouth for atleast 12 breaths. EEK!! He is so not happy with me! And I knew this was going to happen....both meds wire him up like no other. He is running and climbing all over, only stopping to cough and sneeze! Last night he went down at 8pm, but was up by 830 screaming. he went back down till 11. Then he wanted no part of sleeping. So I brought him in bed with me, he snuggled and "talked" and finally fell asleep somewhere around 1am. He was up again at 8am. Needless to say, I am tired, my lovely son is wired again since I had to give him meds again.... UGH!! I wish there was an easier way to stop the coughing and barking. If nap time ever comes, I will be joining him!

No comments:

Post a Comment