I made my first batch of hummus today and it turned out GREAT!! Hummus is one of Zack (and my) favorite foods. It is such a great source of protein. Add to some pita bread or veggies, and you have yourself a complete meal!
1 can chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon Double Pagoda Sesame Oil
2-3 tablespoons warm water
I added some red pepper and cayanne seasoning to my taste, since it was pretty bland to start with.
So by making my own hummus (which takes 5 minutes tops), this is what I save:
store bought hummus 3.99x52 weeks (yes we do eat lots of it in our house)= 207.48
making it myself:1.00 (can of beans)x52=52.00
I had all the other ingredients already in my house, and it was small amounts
Total saving 155.48...
I could buy lots of stuff at CVS with that $$!!!
And to answer my mom's question: one can of beans has 6 grams of fat, the sesame oil adds quite a bit depending on what brand you use. One tablespoon has about 14 grams of fat. (divide by 3 is 4.6) added to the beans is 10.6 grams total for the entire bowl of hummus. And as much as we love it, there is NO way we could eat the entire bowl by oursevles in one day, much less one sitting. But even then, there are lots of other snacks that have more than 10 grams of fat per serving.
When this bowl is gone, my next batch is going to use black beans.
Thursday, March 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment